Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Adventures in Cake Poppery

For Gigi's 3rd Birthday


This blog post is waaay overdue and even if I've got a jillion things on my to-do list today, I feel compelled to write this because I am baking cake pops as I type. Today I am trying carrot cake & red velvet. Let's see how these bad boys will turn out as I am baking for the girl's princess party (Alina, Gigi, & Lily) and baby Chloe's coming out party (Crystal's baby shower) this weekend.

For Gavin's 1st Birthday


Below is a link to basic cake pop instructions:

http://www.bakerella.com/hope-these-put-a-smile-on-your-face/

For Gerald's Birthday

I do have a couple tidbits to share as far as best practice/advice goes. Here are some common pitfalls on cake-poppery-making and how to avoid them:

1) The balls don't adhere to the stick.

  a) This could be an adhesive issue

    Adhesive issues: Dip the stick in un-thinned, melted, candy melts. I double dip and make sure I get a good  amount on the stick and onto the cake pop itself.

or

  b) An architectural issue

 Architectural issues:

  a) The cake pop could be too moist (too much frosting in the mix or your cake mix is too gooey) and a proper ball cannot hold the stick. How to avoid this. Make sure the cake mix + frosting is not too squishy and that after you ball up your little ballie it is structurally sound. I stick to the 3/4 of frosting to 1 cake mix ratio and that works fine for me.

Have a C&B week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment