Thursday, September 29, 2011

Say cheese!

Gigi, September 2010, 2 years & 3 months at her first Picture Day
Almost exactly one year today Gigi took the above picture at the local Montessori Preschool she attends. Look at that winning smile and gleaming eyes. Picture perfect right?......not! What this picture does not show is that while she is smiling away here she is actually sitting on my lap and the photographer cropped me out, lol! Reaallleey!

Earlier that morning I got a phone call from her school's director saying that "Mrs. DePerio, Gigi has been practicing taking her pictures and has done so well..but this morning she refuses to take a picture." I let her teacher know that I was nearby and I'd help out. Gavin at the time was four months old and thankfully was portable in the bjorn and still slept a lot. I packed the boy and I and we headed to Gigi's school. When we got there, I swear, my child was a hot mess. Her eyes were red, slightly swollen and she was crying like someone had hurt her.  I brought some bribery (candy) and it worked like a charm...except that she did not want to let go of me..and refused to take a picture without me. I suggested to the photographer to take a picture while I sat in the background (strategically) so that he could easily edit me out. And that worked great. I was told that her picture was one of the best! Hahahaha! It took a team (photographer, teacher, and mother) to get that shot. *Phew*

***

Fast forward to the present day and I cannot help but observe just how much my little darling girl has grown..physically, socially, and mentally. Check out the behind the scenes pics from today:

Last year, no one could touch her but me. Look at her now =)

That winning smile veiled with an inner confidence...all her baby! No mother needed to be cropped out this time.




And there was another huge difference this time around. The photographers allowed for an option where siblings could be included in the pictures! Umm, hello?! YESSSSS!!! I was soooo all over that. So Gavin comes along and he actually gets to be part of it. Check out our lil' man..so confident..he'll definitely be ready next year for an early pre-school education as well:


I'm #1 right? Right!

Making himself at home ;D



My personal fave. He sat himself on this chair and wanted to be just like everyone else. CUTIE!

Class pic sans Gavin

 What melted my heart most was seeing the two together.



Gigi is morphing into a good big sister and welcomed her little brother into her domain (her school). *Happy sigh*.


Our lives can be so busy at times that one year can fly by and the details of it all is a complete blur.  I've learned that snapping a few pictures along the way allows us to hold on to those moments. Documenting is important to me because it cements the important details I don't want to leave to chance to our often fallible and sometimes inaccurate memories...

Photographs allow for those precious moments to be re-lived in our minds and hearts. And to me, that is absolutely priceless :)

Happy Thursday and have a C&B weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog. Such a precious memory! I love your writing style. The photos were a great touch. It's nice to see how much Gigi has progressed within a year. Keep up the excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! My M has picture day tomorrow - he'll be just a little older than your Gigi during her first time (& O would be 3 months, close to your son's age back then too). Let's pray he'll do well. Your kids are adorable! I think those who scrap get it (it's good to document the ordinary and mundane and also the important days in our lives). This post would be fun to look back on when your kiddies are older!

    ReplyDelete