Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The good fight




Being a good mother I think comes naturally to most women...

Let's illustrate: losing sleep because the kiddies are sick, sure. Skipping out on indulging for yourself to give your children a good education, sure. Working long and hard both at work and at home, sure. But what about being a good wife? Does that come naturally to us? To that, I think not. Don't get me wrong, husbands also have duties to their wives but I think when wives become mothers, husbands can often times feel neglected and in extreme cases disrespected.

In today's modern world, our culture teaches us to have equality, women's rights etc. And all of that is definitely important but I think inside a home where a husband and wife dwell, there must be a balance. There must be a yin and yang...Being a strong-willed, head-strong woman like me, I have had a lot of issues in this department.

I am learning to "un-do" my years of conditioning that started very early in life. I was student body president in middle school, class president in high school, beta alpha psi/accounting association president in college, and now as an adult am actively managing several businesses. I am a boss..and you know what, I LIKE THAT. I'M USED TO THAT.

In a happy marriage though, wives need to know their place. And that is determined, whether you like it or not by your husband's expectations. At the same token, husbands need to know their place as well, and that is determined, whether they like it or not, by their wives. I think where we get into trouble is when expectations are not met and finger pointing and blaming enters the relationship. My mom and dad's marriage taught me that most things in a good relationship are fixable. Gerald also got the same message from his parents.

Being married is tough business and is not for the faint of heart. Submitting to your significant other to meet their needs, whatever they are, is not a show of weakness. It actually shows strength in character in that you made the correct decision in entrusting one person completely. And when they mess up, because they will, WE ALL DO; you build up the courage and do it all over again. (This is for relationships where two people have each others best interest at heart and are mutually invested and committed to each other.)

This cycle to me is "the good fight." You have to keep fighting the good fight..Slay your own demons, and you will be stronger. But slay your demons together and you will be unstoppable. I choose the later :)

To my married friends: we got this! *rock on because its worth it!*

No comments:

Post a Comment