Sunday, January 8, 2012

A mother's heart

A mother and child in Afghanistan

Just moments ago I was rummaging through my car, looking for change to buy a cup of coffee because I'd just come from a run and neglected to bring my purse. The plan was to do some work and a little bit of writing at Starbucks...I was pissed, I hated to feel like a pan handler. Like I couldn't pay my way. But then,...seemingly out of the blue, I thought about the mother that knows that feeling all too well. The mother who can't even pay her way to meet the bare necessities of life for herself and her children. What does she do? How does she deal with day to day living?

I have a pit in my stomach and feel an overwhelming urge to help.




In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, most of us and our peers are probably operating at the level of at least love/belonging, esteem, and/or/maybe self-actualization. In sharp contrast, much of the world's population are rock bottom in this hierarchy of needs...Ugh. Another stomach pit.


Mother and son in Vietnam


What I know for sure is that there is an undeniable stirring in my heart to do something...although I am unsure in what capacity this will be as of yet, I know in due time a path will unfold and I will follow it. 

I will end with a quote from David O. McKay that aptly describes my sentiments:

"Motherhood is the greatest potential influence in human society. Her caress first awakens in the child a sense of security; her kiss the first realization of affection, her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world. Thus in infancy and childhood she implants ever-directing and restraining influences that remain through life."

Photo credits:  
http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/mother-and-child/ http://stevemccurry.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/vietnam-100461.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment