Monday, March 21, 2011

Where are we running?




"Where are we running" by Mr. Sexy himself, Lenny Kravitz


***



***

I discovered running many years ago when I was going through some teenage angst and needed to release lots of pent up negativity. I would run at the local middle school track (AMS, go Cougars! ;D) and feel phenomenal after my runs. I would never call myself "fast" but I was usually the #2 girl in completing our high school's P.E. class timed mile runs...beating most girls and some boys. That's good enough for me as far as bragging rights go. During my runs I spent a lot of time alone and processed a lot of emotions I was dealing with at the time. Not only did I have a slammin mid-section, but all that running made me mentally and emotionally tough. Running was cathartic and I quickly got hooked =)



In my mid-twenties I wanted to take my running to the next level and trained for a marathon. While I was still working for the man, I would run up and down The Embarcadero during my lunch. That was the best part of my daily drudgery as it would make the work day & work politics not seem so sh*tty. I ran those glorious 26.2 miles in beautiful Honolulu and the first 12 miles was HEAVEN while the rest was HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.



"Glady" The 92-year old grandmother & quite possibly the oldest marathoner
http://www.honolulumarathon.org/

Today, as a wife and mother of two, and at age 32, I've rekindled my love of running. Today's run was the longest I've done recently at a modest 8 miles. Three months ago I was beginning to feel depleted and rundown. I had a hankering to be more than just a wife and mama-milk-making-machine. I wanted to feel strong. To feel athletic. And for me, that meant running...Oh, and for the record, I use the term "running" loosely. What I do more resembles a slow jog and a fast walk for people with long legs. Today, however, I really did "run." My usual is around 4.1 to 4.3 +mph on the treadmill. Today I increased that to 5+ mph and 6+ mph. Of course I took some walk breaks so that I would not be completely blasted with fatigue. I always remind myself that three months ago I could not complete one mile without walking. My, oh my, have I come a long way!



Running was and continues to be, something I DO FOR MYSELF purely out of the love I have for the sport. I have a super soft spot for the elderly and disabled. A close second to them are runners. I have been known to cheer on random strangers while at a stop light as I see them toiling on the road..lol..woohooo!! ;D 


Most importantly, I almost always feel like a rock star and start strumming my air guitar (just like Lenny) after my runs =)

My prized t-shirt I wear with pride =)

Where are we running? WHO CARES. Just do it, mayn ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment