Sunday, March 27, 2011

Harder, better, stronger, faster!

I wouldn't call myself a fan of Mr. West, but his song "Stronger" is my personal theme song this week.

If you don't know, now ya know.."Stronger" by Kanye West


Two months ago I started doing timed mile runs. Why? Because I secretly wanted to get faster. Not faster than Gerald or anyone else but faster than myself. Yes you're right. I enjoy engaging in some fierce competition with myself. In the past, I trained purely for "mileage goals," increasing my mileage week after week. That was fun but you know what? Getting faster is funner. 


Indoor running

Month one of my timed mile run was in the 13 minute per mile range. Month two was 11+ minutes per mile. After two months of data-gathering, the initial goal I decided on was "to get my timed mile in the single digits." At month three and three days ago I met this goal on the treadmill and you shoulda heard me...I was not only huffing and puffing, but I was softly grunting (I think). The last time I grunted I was in the delivery room at Washington Hospital ten months ago, LOL ;D My intensity and grunting surely scared (or turned off, or both) at least three potential treadmill-users. One was a burly man. Two were college aged-looking-girls. Did that bother me? HELL NO. Because I was hell bent on attaining that single digit timed mile run. I was really feeling it that day and running at my top speed at 6.5 & 7.0 non-stop. For me, that was a personal best and I was elated = )


Outdoor running

A little voice inside of me said "But can you run a mile in the single digits OUTSIDE? You know the treadmill is much easier!"

Today, my calendar said to run 3 miles. I was feelin' especially fierce today and pushed myself harder than normal and was super pleased to get my timed 1 mile run at 9 minutes 43 seconds! A couple-a seconds faster than the treadmill :)

The fierceness spilled over to the remaining 2 miles  where I did some interval training and some sprints. A random old man jogging, yelled out a "Woo hoo" and a thumbs up. I thumbs' up'd him right back. Another female jogger gave me a "knowing nod" and a smile. I returned the kind gestures with a nod and another thumb's up.

Frustrating plateau squashed

I run because I love it but people, I NEED TO GET PAID. What pays me is not MONEY but POUNDAGE LOST. The last two weeks I'd been running for free and this week I FINALLY got PAID.

1.7 pounds this week baby! 

I am happy to report that by running harder, better, stronger, & faster..that my very first and frustrating plateau has finally been squashed!

Woot! Woot!

Have a charmed & blessed week all! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment