Sunday, March 20, 2011

Color Me Purple

Like food, I find that blogging is best when it is fresh. This next entry has been stored in the freezer (my head) for nearly 30 days and I write it now because I want to remember my most recent birthday, my 32nd, with fondness and accuracy because to me it was truly special :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country-folk rock


Gerald asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday this year and I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do. I wanted to celebrate like this: 1) A girl's night out 2) A Date Night alone with him  3) A day with the family.

1) A girl's night out

Lei, May, Christina, Millie, Helen, Saya


I really wanted to do something different for this celebration and how much more different can you get than yee-hawing and dancing the night away to country music and riding a mechanical bull?! Plus, I did not want to drive to either of the Sans (SF & SJ) and wanted to stay local.

Lissett, Ape, Mill, Jess


Also, for some strange reason I realllyyyyy wanted to ride the mechanical bull. The funny thing is when it came time to ride the bull I was  unable to heave myself up the bull due my high level of toxicity and lack of upper body strength.. boo =( Luckily, a gentleman helped me by kneeling and offered his leg as a step stool :) When you're buzzed, being tossed around by a mechanical contraption is absolutely exhilarating. My sister said I lasted longer than she expected and I totally agree...HAHAHA!

Ape, Mon, Lissett


Diana, Lorna


To make a long story short, I had the flippin' time of my life!!! I was surrounded with my favorite, fun-loving, females and the fun we had was epic. Helen told me she has some videos of the night's highlights and she is a great friend who has not posted any of them online or on Facebook because I know FOR SURE I would turn red in embarrassment. However, I have no regrets on my part because it was all clean fun and I would gladly be that FREE, WILD WOMAN again without blinking (once every couple-a-months or so). "Sasha" is what I call that wild woman who hadn't come out to play in many, many years. We had so much fun that the female fams and I already have another girl's night out planned early next month =D (Happy early birthday Jess!)

Sasha at work
2) Date night with the hubs

On my real birthday, Gerald took me to À Côté (http://acoterestaurant.com/a small-plates, Mediterannean restaurant in Oakland's Rockridge district. We started with the a seafood salad, mussels, and pommes frites with aoli (fries w/ aoli dipping sauce). If that was all we ate for the night it would've been ENOUGH because it was PLENTY GOOD and PLENTY. Period. For small-plates, the servings were totally shareable between two hungry adults. I highly recommend these dishes.

Gerald and Millie
Totally wowed with the salad and appetizers, our excitement fizzled a bit with our main menu courses. I had the duck and Gerald had the quail and they were okay. Not bad at all but compared to the amazing items we just had, they paled in comparison.


Dessert was good! We shared the COUPE À CÔTÉ, triple bittersweet chocolate ice cream, hot fudge, caramel cream, with pecan praline & caramel brownies. Umm, can I get YUMMMMMMMYYY in my TUMMY! Yaaaa!


Gerald sang happy birthday to me, I blew my brownie-cake, then chugged my birthday drinks like a champ!


3) Sleepover with the fam

After the Saddlerack, we had a sibling + fams sleepover (except April, she responsibly drove herself home.) We stayed in our PJs, had a fattening/heavily processed breakfast, and had a big crab & shrimp-feed for lunch. I was sung a birthday song and got seconds of the yummy bday cake :)



The girls took turns being sung Happy Birthday to and "practiced" blowing out the candles (this is a family tradition with the little ones when any of us celebrates a birthday, and there are a lot of "us" =)



P.S.


Day 1 of color me purple I admit I had gone spray-happy…The funny thing is that at the Saddlerack, and in person, you could not see the color until the flash of the camera hit my hair. The girls didn’t even know my hair was Barney’d out until we looked at our digital camera displays ;D






Day 2 of color me purple I didn't want to freak Gerald out and only sprayed the tips. This  looked a lot less like Sasha and more like Millie.


Day 3 of color me purple is when I decided to put in real (semi-permanent) purple chunks in my hair that Gerald helped me with. I’m fairly happy with them J




***

Moral of the story: be brave, be daring! For only then will you know how far you can go =) ;-) :)


***




No comments:

Post a Comment