Friday, March 2, 2012

Synchronicity, Intuition, and Birthdays

This is a random post about random things because, you guessed it, I am random.

Synchronicity

A few months ago my sister in law Lorna and I were at the grocery store. She did her shopping and I stayed in the car with the kids. She got the items she needed and we were off to take her home. As we approached her driveway, she realizes she's accidentally left her wallet/wristlet inside of the grocery cart.

We quickly go back to the store (about a 5-7 minute drive), she locates the section where she returned the grocery cart, and comes back empty handed. She's upset but goes inside the store hoping to find it. She meets an elderly man who just wants to help. I stay back with the kids and park at the front of the store.

Meanwhile, these two ladies parked next to us begin unloading their groceries. One of them had a confused look on her face as if she was looking for someone. A thought popped in my head, "Ask her if she found a black wristlet.." I felt weird but did it anyhow. And guess what? SHE FOUND IT. She said that it was inside the cart and was hoping to somehow, find the owner. Just as I was thanking her, Lorna emerges from the store with the helpful elderly man and I share the good news that we found her lost item. We were all celebrating and hugging as if we hit the lotto or something...it felt like a Fringe moment sprinkled with Holy Water.

To top it off the elderly man said, with tears in his eyes that this was a "miracle" and that he had not felt this happy since his wife was alive. He shared with us that his wife passed away a couple of months ago and said that he was beginning to doubt the goodness in this world and that he really needed to experience this "miracle."


Intuition

I think we all have a little bit of psychic intuition. Some call it gut instincts, luck, divine intervention. Whatever you want to call it, I find this phenomenon difficult to explain and even more difficult to quantify.

Going back to the above story, what were the turning points here? I think there were two: 1) Driving back to the store as quickly as we did 2) Listening to my intuition and asking one of the ladies if they had seen the black wristlet.

Who was lost and found that day? I think we all found something we needed through each other that day.


Birthdays

The original venue for my pre-bday hoorah was originally at City Beach. I wanted something quieter but circumstances changed and we ended up at the Saddlerack (one of my fave places). Gerald even assumed an alter ego that night and went by the name "Mater G"..lol. We hooted and hollered and had a good ole' time. 

On my real birthday I set up a playdate with another mom from Gigi's preschool. She and I had met at a birthday party where our daughters really hit it off and we ended up chatting away.  At the end of the party, our girls were begging for a playdate. I have to mention that I am brand new at this whole playdate thing. And networking with other like minded adults is pretty frickin' cool.

So we get to Gigi's classmate's house and while the girls were playing dressing up, I shared with the other mom that we needed to cut the playdate a little shorter because we had family coming over for my birthday. Surprisingly, the other mom said, "Really?! Today is my birthday as well!" Wow, I thought.. what a way to break the ice :-) We talked about promoting healthy eating with our kids and even talked about starting a parents group for the preschool. Very interesting..my first playdate on my birthday with a birthday twin. Weiirrrrd...a little Fringey..but mostly COOL ;D

Throughout the day I received text messages, phone calls, and sweet FB birthday greetings. All brightening my day all the more ;D In the evening, we had dinner with the clan and had a good time. Mama decided it was going to be a karaoke night. Gerald, my parents and I sang till 3 am. LOL. The last time we did that was several years ago, pre-G times (pre Gigi & Gavin).

What's my message in this long post? That we're all interconnected and that we can affect positive change in each other's lives in seemingly small ways but yielding tremendous, unquantifiable results. This month I want to focus on connecting with a purpose.

There are three that I've committed to:

1) It is National Down Syndrome Awareness month. I dedicated my donation to a woman I worked years ago with Downs. All she wanted was to be independent and she did that before she passed away from health issues. Sue Hernandez, you will always be in heart.

http://www.kellehampton.com/2011/01/pay-it-forwardrock-oneder-fund.html

2) I became acquainted with Louisa Arcas, Jojo's sister who lovingly created a non-profit organization in honor of her brother. They are having their first fundraiser later this month. I'm helping out by spreading the word here and will be visiting the Prickly Pear during the day.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=333773916661944&set=a.333773913328611.75881.316941875011815&type=1&theater


3) A woman I worked with is doing her darndest to save her home. I've signed her petition below and hoping they are able to save their home from foreclosure.

http://signon.org/sign/help-a-middle-class-hard.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=2705885

Please consider doing something simply for the sake of helping. Whatever your heart wants to do, please do it. I believe we are here on this planet for a reason. And one of those reasons is to help and inspire one another.

Please affect some positive change, however small or large you feel comfortable doing, within your own circles and let's see what we can do. I bet it's great. And on that note, have a wonderful and blessed weekend.

Happy Friday Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment